Tuesday 17 May 2011

London And Todays Times

Since the Con-dems have been in power London has been getting very expensive. Ive cut back on going out as much as before. Long gone are the days of going out for a drink on the weekends with work friends. I cant believe how much alcohol was wasted down the drain, I have no regrets as 5 years ago was the boom era and I enjoyed every minute of it; there was no spending cuts then only was simply spending and holidaying 3 times a year. So is clothes shopping, I have to walk past the lovely clothes in the shop windows that entice you to buy buy buy and even make it easier by slashing their prices. Unless I really need it I do not buy the product, I actually feel like my grand mother who watches her penny rationing like it was the war days. I am also proud of myself that I have not gone mad with all this budget cutting, I remember once upon a time when I thought if I didnt go shopping to buy a new outfit every month or go out partying, life would be depressing. Well guess what its not and Im ok, I guess as every one has also tightened their strings its not so bad, nor is it embarassing to go shopping in the reduced food section or buying no frills grocery. Theres a fight to see who can get the best items first. Yes those posh middle class white people no longer snigger at your food basket if they see a bright yellow reduced sticker on it, infact people think your smart; why should you buy full priced items when the food is going to leave your system anyway.
Then theres the high cost of transport I now walk to work I make it sound like Im being healthy by walking but really I just want to save money on transport, my legs are actually my transport and they walk like a machine. Every day I power walk to and from work thump thump as I go along. Tourists getting in my way as I swish past them. I even see a lot more black people on that barclays rent a bike, its no longer sad to ride them. Although I refuse to ride those bikes I dont care how many times Boris Johnson goes on about them.
So what do I do for entertainment now that every thing is so darn expensive in London. Well when I walk along I notice the architecture things I never bothered lookin you know there really is some nice buildings in London! I appreciate public parks more, I go there so I can get a whiff of some fresh oxygen air and admire how the lawn is well cut and bouncy to sit on. Then I just stare at tourists and old people who sit on the benches.

My attitude to work has also changed thanks to London being expensive, I actually look forward to going to work as its a form of entertainment and socialing. My colleagues are more like my friends now as I see them more than my friends, I no longer visit my friends who want to party or they themselves have disappeared due to lack of funds. So yes the credit crunch or inflation has affected Londoners life dramatically.  I have also become a lot closer to my family when all your friends have gone, all you have close are your family. I call my parents every day and talk about my day and I always answer their phonecalls. I only feel sorry for people who do not live with their partners or have a girlfriend or boyfriend because they must be so bored. I mean what do they do? at least if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend you can watch films together cook, irritate each other when theres nothing to do. I suppose those people would have to go out so they do not feel lonely and todays times mean going out = more money to be spent.

No comments: